I made this cake for my mothers and sisters joined birthday party and it was such a success that I had to share it with you. It was a chocolate cake of course, your homegirl likes her chocolate. Hehe.
I actually made a 100 % vegan bbq buffet for the party, here are some pictures of the food:
Together with my boyfriend we made hummus, tabule, babaganoj, pasta salad, potatoes, fresh fruit, marinated oumph (soy), marinated carrot “hot dogs” and salad. We also had onions, red bell pepper, and tomatoes stuffed with garlic, salt, sugar and basil, to barbecue.
Anywayyyyy, the cake. THE cake. It looks like this:
And here is how you make it!
What you will need:
- 2½ Cups Flour
- 2½ Cups Sugar
- 1 Cup Cacao Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 3/4 Cups Non-Dairy Milk of Choice (I used soy)
- 2/3 Cups sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
How to do it:
- Turn your oven to 180 ° C // 350 ° F.
- I used one large baking pan for this and then cut the cake in the middle but you can use 2 smaller baking pans as well.
- What ever pan you use, make sure you grease them lightly. A pro tip is to cut a piece of parchment paper that fits the bottom of the pan. That way the cake won’t stuck in the bottom and get ruined when you try to remove it.
- In one bowl add and stir together all of the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix, you can ruin the cake that way.
- Bake the cake for about 40 – 50 minutes. Make sure it is firm but not dry when you take it out.
- Once the cake has cooled you are free to add the frosting and toppings of your choosing. I used the creamy part of 5 coconut milk cans that I had let stand in the fridge over night. That way it’s a lot easier to separate the fat from the water.
- I mixed the coconut fat with some vanilla powder (not extract) and used it as my frosting. In the middle of the cake I used some of the coconut cream as well as some mashed banana.
- Then, just spread the coconut cream on your cake and make sure it gets all over the cake. You’re not supposed to see any brown parts, just the cream.
- For decorations I melted vegan chocolate and made some shapes with it. Thats a very simple yet pretty thing to have as a decoration. Melt chocolate and pour it over parchment paper in the designs you like. When the chocolate has hardened you can add it on the cake or muffin or whatever you want it for.
- Lastly I topped the cake with some fresh strawberries as well as the leaves from a strawberry plant from our garden.
Hope you’ll like it! If you decide to try it out, let me know in the comments what you think!
Much love! // Bella